Sunday, December 28, 2008

Day Two

This is day two, and I already find myself challenged to post a blog entry today. We ("the fam) are going out to a movie in a little while, and I know myself well enough to know that am not going to be very motivated to write something when I get back. (I am definitely a morning person.) Consequently, I had to set aside a number of projects I found fun and interesting to write this entry. This is the discipline I referred to in my first post.

Daniel Kirk has been a good role model for me. He posts something to his blog (Sibboleth) on a regular basis. I have been impressed with Daniel's discipline on a number of levels. First, he has written a number of reviews on Joel Green's new book Body, Soul, and Human Life, which is an interesting way of (1) staying on task (2) synthesizing the ideas and concepts in Green's book, and, most likely (3) generating material for future courses, and/or reviews for students to read at a later time. Second, writing something every day is a great way to sharpen (or stay sharp in) one's writing skills. There are other ways Daniel's discipline has impressed me, but want to limit my comments for the sake of brevity.

So that's the challenge, which brings me back to the question I posed in my first entry, which is "whether or not I have the time (and discipline) to post entries on a regular basis. Creating a blog sounds like a good idea, but I have to wonder whether it will be like other New Year's resolutions, i.e., an idea with no staying power. Time will tell."

No comments: